Covid-hit Tottenham risk being dumped out of Europa Conference League by forfeiting Rennes clash as Uefa say game is ON

UEFA have insisted Tottenham's Europa Conference League group stage tie with Rennes must go ahead.

Antonio Conte revealed Spurs have 13 positive Covid cases – eight players and five members of staff – which left them with ELEVEN fit senior players.

And after talks with Health Security Agency and the Government on Wednesday night, Tottenham announced the Group G clash was postponed, with the club’s Hotspur Way training ground closed.

French rivals Rennes – who had already touched down in London – insisted the game was NOT off until Uefa said so.

AndUefa have now confirmed the game is ON, meaning Tottenham face being dumped out of Europe if they forfeit the match.

Uefa said: "The match is due to take place as scheduled.

"For further information regarding Tottenham’s COVID situation, please contact the club.

"We have no other comment to make at this stage."

Most read in Football

LAST 16

Chelsea face Champions League draw nightmare as Real Madrid, Bayern and Ajax await

RED-EYED ROB

Robbie Savage fights back tears as son Charlie, 18, comes on for Man Utd debut

LOOK TO ZI FUTURE

Man Utd academy ace Zidane Iqbal, 18, is in line to face Young Boys

SHALL NOT PASS

Fans must show Covid passports to enter Prem stadiums from next Wednesday

Rennes confirmed in a statement: "In a video conference at 7.45 p.m. between representatives of UEFA, Tottenham and SRFC, the Spurs director of football announced her intention not to play the UEFA Europa Conference League game.

"Thursday evening. Unilateral decision which has not been confirmed by UEFA in any way.

"The Tottenham representative did not want to announce the number of her players affected by the Covid when the rule states that a match must be played as long as the team has 13 outfielders and a keeper.

"She argued for a decision by the English authorities without advancing any official document. 

"As the match was not officially canceled by UEFA, Stade Rennais FC upheld their decision to play.

"Faced with this "London fog", the SRFC reserves the right to approach UEFA. 

"This lack of fair play is all the more glaring as Tottenham had confirmed by email that the match would be held at the start of the afternoon before warning Rennes of their intention not to play just after their landing in London City."

But confusingly, it followed after Spurs put out: “We can confirm that our UEFA Europa Conference League Group G home fixture against Stade Rennais will not take place tomorrow (Thursday 9 December at 8pm UK) after a number of positive COVID-19 cases at the Club.

“Discussions are ongoing with UEFA and we shall provide a further update on this fixture in due course.

“Additionally, following discussions with the Health Security Agency (formerly Public Health England) and DCMS advisers, the Club has been advised to close the First Team area of its Training Centre at this time, in the interests of the health and safety of players and staff.

“All other areas of the Training Centre remain operational.”

Spurs’ Premier League fixture against Brighton at the Amex on Sunday will be in doubt.

It followed as Conte said he was ‘scared’ and ‘upset’ as the virus reaching breaking point.

MORE TO FOLLOW

    Source: Read Full Article