Coronavirus – Brit tourist, 70, dies from deadly bug during Lanzarote holiday – The Sun
Regional health officials said he was more than 70 years old and confirmed he was a tourist but offered no more details about his identity.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
A spokesman for the regional health authority said: "I can confirm a British tourist on the island has died after testing positive for coronavirus.”
"He had underlying health issues."
It was not immediately clear where on the island he was staying before he was taken ill and how long he had been in hospital.
He became the second person to die in Lanzarote from coronavirus.
The first victim was a 71-year-old German expat.
Cape Verdian Health Minister Arlindo do Rosario confirmed the British man was taken ill after checking into the five-star Hotel Riu Karamboa on Boa Vista, one of the archipelago’s most visited islands, on March 9.
He was laster admitted to Sal Rei Hospital on March 16 where he failed to recover from the killer virus.
Health chiefs confirmed after the holidaymaker tested positive that the hotel would go into a 14-day lockdown with 640 tourists and 210 staff inside.
Cape Verde’s Prime Minister subsequently announced the island of Boa Vista would also go into lockdown.
More to follow…
For the latest news on this story keep checking back at Sun Online.
Thesun.co.uk is your go to destination for the best celebrity news, football news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.
Download our fantastic, new and improved free App for the best ever Sun Online experience. For iPhone click here, for Android click here.
Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thesun and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSun.
Source: Read Full Article