Law student left partially blind after faulty phone charger EXPLODED

Law student, 19, is left partially blind after faulty phone charger EXPLODED sending a spark into her left eye as she plugged mobile in

  • Esther Modede, 19, noticed wire of her phone charger looked a little damaged
  • While charging, smoke was seen coming from the wire before it exploded
  • Student was left unable to see out of her left eye but is slowly recovering
  • She was told at Birmingham City Hospital that spark had damaged her cornea 

A law student was left partially blind after a faulty phone charger exploded and sent a spark into her left eye as she plugged in her mobile phone.  

Esther Modede, 19, from Birmingham, West Midlands, noticed the wire of her phone charger looked a little damaged on the evening of April 27.

Shortly afterwards, her phone and the charger started burning up as she noticed smoke coming from the wire.

The wire then blew up with one of the sparks hitting Esther and leaving her unable to see out of her left eye.

That night Esther spent four hours in hospital getting a bandage over her eye, which she had to keep on for three days, and was told by specialists at Birmingham City Hospital that the spark had damaged her cornea.

Esther Modede (pictured in hospital), 19, from Birmingham, West Midlands, noticed the wire of her phone charger looked a little damaged on the evening of April 27


The phone charger’s wire (pictured right) blew up with one of the sparks hitting Esther and leaving her unable to see out of her left eye (left: smoke coming from the faulty phone charger)

Esther’s eyesight still isn’t back to normal after having the bandage removed, but she is slowly recovering.

Esther said: ‘I let my friend borrow my phone charger over the weekend and when I got it back it was slightly damaged.

‘I didn’t think anything of it so I plugged in my phone to charge and it started burning up. 

‘I didn’t think it was going to get any worse and then as I was recording it, it started sparking.

‘I then got a spark in my eye and I couldn’t see very well at all. I didn’t realise I was that close or that the spark would be able to enter my eye. I was extremely worried.

‘Everything went blurry and when I closed my other eye I couldn’t see very well. 


Esther (left and right, during her recovery) said: ‘I got a spark in my eye and I couldn’t see very well at all. I didn’t realise I was that close or that the spark would be able to enter my eye. I was extremely worried’

‘I had the bandage on my eye for three days. When I took the bandage off I couldn’t see very clearly, but my sight has cleared up and is still healing.’ 

She added: ‘The surface of my eye was effected.

‘The moment the spark hit my eye it shut and I felt it begin to swell. It was a hot sensation. The swelling and the blurring of my sight was worrying.

‘My vision as of last week was still recovering but currently it’s a lot better and I can now read when the other eye is shut.’ 

Source: Read Full Article