Lloyd Webber: You'll have to arrest me to stop me reopening theatres
You’ll have to arrest me to stop me reopening theatres on June 21, impresario Andrew Lloyd Webber warns Boris Johnson amid worries unlocking will be delayed
- Composer said he may have to sell six West End venues if lockdown isn’t eased
- He also revealed he has already been forced to remortgage his London home
- Pandemic has had catastrophic financial impact on the theatre industry
Andrew Lloyd Webber has warned Boris Johnson that nothing will stop him from reopening his theatres on June 21 and he is prepared to be arrested.
The composer, 73, told the Daily Telegraph he may have to sell his six West End venues if the Government does not relax its restrictions.
He also revealed he has already remortgaged his London home.
The pandemic has had a catastrophic financial impact on the theatre industry and many have remained closed despite the ease in Covid-19 restrictions as it is not financially viable for them to open with reduced capacities.
The composer, 73, told the Daily Telegraph he may have to sell his six West End venues if the Government does not relax its restrictions
Lord Lloyd-Webber is preparing for a production of Cinderella, which is scheduled to open for previews on June 25 ahead of its world premiere in July.
‘We are going to open, come hell or high water,’ Lord Lloyd-Webber told the Telegraph.
Asked what he would do if the Government postponed lifting lockdown, he said: ‘We will say: ”come to the theatre and arrest us.”’
The June 21 ‘freedom day’ is in doubt due to concerns over the impact of Covid-19 variants.
Asked what he would do if the Government postponed lifting lockdown, he said: ‘We will say: ”come to the theatre and arrest us”’
Lord Lloyd-Webber said scientific evidence shows theatres are ‘completely safe’ and do not cause outbreaks.
He added: ‘If the Government ignore their own science, we have the mother of all legal cases against them. If Cinderella couldn’t open, we’d go, ‘Look, either we go to law about it or you’ll have to compensate us.”
This is not the first time Lord Lloyd-Webber, 73, has criticised those calling for a delay in reopening.
Last week he told the Daily Mail he may take legal action if his theatres are not allowed to welcome back crowds at full capacity.
Source: Read Full Article