Pilots escape serious injury as WWII plane crashes in a field

Pilots escape serious injury as WWII Hawker Sea Fury plane crashes in a field near naval base in Somerset

  • Hawker Sea Fury plane made ‘precautionary forced landing’ amid engine trouble
  • Two pilots were treated at the scene before being taken to hospital for check-up
  • Pictures showed the crashed WWII plane’s propeller separated from wreckage 

Two pilots escaped serious injury when they were forced to crash land their Second World War Hawker Sea Fury plane in a field.

Emergency services were called to the scene about a mile from Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton in Limington, Somerset yesterday afternoon after the fighter had engine trouble.

Pictures showed its propeller separated from the wreckage as police stand guard.

Emergency services stand near the crashed Second World War Hawker Sea Fury plane

The Navy Wings charity, which flies historic warbirds, posted on its Facebook page: ‘Navy Wings’ Sea Fury T.20 made a precautionary forced landing in a field next to RNAS Yeovilton following a problem with the engine on a routine training flight this afternoon.

‘The cause is under investigation and both the CAA and Air Accident Investigation Branch have been informed. No further information is available at this time.

‘Although both pilots walked out of the aircraft, after medical checks in Yeovil District Hospital, one of them has been detained in hospital overnight for further observation.

The plane’s propeller was seen separated from the wreckage, about one mile away from a naval base

Several emergency services were called to the scene yesterday afternoon in Limington, Somerset

‘The other pilot has been discharged.’

An Avon and Somerset police spokesman added: ‘We were called at 2.16pm today following a report of a Hawker Sea Fury aircraft carrying out an emergency landing in a field in Limington.

‘Officers attended the scene, along with other emergency services. Two people on-board the plane suffered minor injuries. The Air Accidents Investigations Branch (AAIB) have been notified.’

South Western Ambulance Service said two male patients were treated at the scene and transported to hospital.

Their condition is said to be ‘not too serious.’

Source: Read Full Article