Suspect arrested after 2 killed, 8 injured in Minneapolis mass shooting

More On:

mass shootings

NJ mass shooting victim identified as 25-year-old healthcare worker

Two dead after mass shooting at sprawling New Jersey birthday party

Two dead, eight injured after argument leads to gunfire in Minneapolis

As pandemic ebbs, an old fear is new again: mass shootings

A suspect in a mass shooting outside a Minneapolis nightclub that left two people dead, including one just about to graduate college, has been arrested, police said.

Jowan Contrail Carroll, 24, was arrested in Bloomington Saturday afternoon on probable cause of murder in the shooting near Monarch nightclub, Minneapolis police spokesman John Elder said Monday.

Carroll had not been formally charged as of early Monday but police have until noon Tuesday to file formal counts against him.

Investigators believe Carroll and a second shooter — who was killed in the gunfire and had yet to be identified Monday — “got into a verbal altercation” outside the downtown Minneapolis nightclub and started shooting at each other, police said in a statement.

Ten people in all were shot, police told the Star Tribune on Saturday. The 10 adult victims were five women and five men, police said.

The second suspect’s identity will be released by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s Office, Elder said.

One victim remained in critical condition early Monday, while seven others had non-life-threatening injuries, Elder told The Post.

Also killed in the carnage was Charlie Johnson, a mechanical engineering major who was set to graduate from the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul later that day, university officials announced Saturday.

“Our community is shocked and saddened by the news of Charlie’s death,” University of St. Thomas president Julie Sullivan said. “On a day he and his family should have been celebrating his graduation from our School of Engineering, we are devastated by this loss.”

Johnson was recognized at the school’s three commencement ceremonies later Saturday while a relative accepted a diploma on his behalf, university officials said.

Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo characterized the shooting as a “brazen, senseless” act of gun violence.

“The perpetrators of these crimes should never find refuge or anonymity in our communities,” the chief said in a statement Saturday.

“Minneapolis police officers will continue to rush into harm’s way to save lives, however we need help from community leaders and residents to stand up and speak out denouncing loudly that they will not tolerate this violence as well.”

Reps from the club, meanwhile, said the two gunmen in the shooting were not patrons of the establishment and got into a fight in an adjacent parking lot, KSTP reported.

The club will remain closed until Friday, according to the station.

“It’s the same thing we’ve said over and over again; bottom line is people need to put their guns down,” Elder told the Star Tribune.

“It’s as simple as that. There needs to be other ways to solve differences.”

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article