What are the Kevin Spacey allegations and who has accused him so far? From Andy Holtzman to Old Vic claims
KEVIN Spacey was one of Hollywood's most decorated actors – known for roles in acclaimed films like The Usual Suspects and American Beauty.
But following a string of historical claims he has faced time away from the screen.
What were the allegations against Kevin Spacey?
Since allegations started pouring in against Kevin Spacey in 2017, Los Angeles prosecutors have dealt with two alleged sexual assaults that date back to 1992.
In December 2018, Spacey was charged with felony and indecent assault in a bar in Nantucket, Massachusetts after it was alleged he sexually assaulted an 18-year-old man in 2016. Lawyers failed to torpedo the case.
In June 26, 2019, the same 18-year old then filed against the star actor claiming emotional damages. However, the man in question voluntarily dismissed the claim.
A second criminal assault charge was also filed against Spacey in July, 2018 when an anonymous masseuse claimed that the actor forced him to touch his genitals and tried to kiss him, during a session back in 2016.
Yet, the criminal charge was dismissed in January 2020 after the alleged victim died earlier in year following what was believed to be a battle with cancer.
According to Variety, each side agreed to pay their own costs, with no other terms disclosed.
Although no other criminal charges have come against Spacey, London's Met Police have previously probed six allegations against the Oscar-winning actor, 59, after more men have come forward.
Scotland Yard told Sun Online they received three more allegations of sexual assault from February to April in 2018.
Actor Anthony Rapp was the first person to make an allegation against Spacey, claiming he was 14 when a 26-year-old Spacey made a sexual advance upon him in 1986.
London's Old Vic theatre, where Spacey was an artistic director from 2004 to 2015, apologised in November, revealing it had received 20 allegations of inappropriate behaviour.
Theatre bosses said a “cult of personality” had contributed to the organisation’s failings.
In total, more than 30 men have claimed they were victims of the House of Cards star's unwanted advances.
He was accused of assaulting a man in West Hollywood in 1992. But the case was dropped in September 2018.
Los Angeles prosecutors said too much time had elapsed and it was now outside California’s statute of limitations.
Who are the alleged victims?
Actor Anthony Rapp, best known for his role in Star Trek: Discovery, gave an interview to Buzzfeed in which he alleged Kevin Spacey made sexual advances to him when he was a 14-year-old boy.
Spacey, then aged 26, is alleged to have invited Rapp to his New York apartment for a party before picking him up and placing him on his bed when the party had finished.
Rapp, now 49, claims Spacey then climbed on top of him and made sexual advances before he managed to "wriggle free".
Responding to the allegations made by Rapp, Spacey – who won Oscars for The Usual Suspects and American Beauty – said he was "beyond horrified" but did not remember the encounter.
However, on September 9, 2020 Rapp sued Spacey for sexual assault, sexual battery, and intentional infliction of emotional distress under the Child Victims Act. Rapp's claim was shared by a man who requested to remain anonymous, who accused Spacey of sexually abusing him in 1983, when he was 14 and Spacey was 24.
Tony Montana, a filmmaker and director, said Kevin Spacey groped him in a Los Angeles pub in 2003.
Montana claimed Spacey grabbed him by the crotch at The Coronet Pub in West Hollywood while he was ordering a drink.
He told online gossip website Radar: “I went up to order a drink and Kevin came up to me and put his arm around me.
"He was telling me to come with him, to leave the bar. He put his hand on my crotch."
British barman Daniel Beal claimed Spacey flashed at him outside a hotel in Goodwood, Sussex in 2010 — and gave the then-19-year-old a £5,000 watch to try to silence him.
He said the actor kept touching his hands when he served him drinks and he approached him when he went outside for a cigarette break.
Daniel told The Sun: "Before I had a chance to do anything he got his d*** out. I said 'What the f*** are you doing?'"
Spacey allegedly said: "'It's big isn't it?'", before insisting on trading his £5k Portifino watch for Daniel's £20 Casio.
At the time Spacey's publicist issues a statement saying the actor "is taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment".
Actor Roberto Cavazos said Spacey tried to touch him at the bar of the Old Vic theatre in London when Spacey was artistic director between 2004 and 2015.
Cavazos claimed that Spacey routinely preyed on young male actors, adding: "The only requirement was to be a male under the age of 30 for Mr Spacey to feel free to touch us".
Mr Cavazos said that he had to fend off two "unpleasant" advances including when Spacey pressed him up against the theatre bar, he claimed in a Facebook post.
The son of actor Richard Dreyfuss came forward to allege Spacey groped him while his father was in the same room.
He claimed the alleged incident happened in 2008 while his Oscar-winning dad was starring in Spacey's play at the Old Vic Theatre.
He said it happened when he was 18, and claimed Spacey put his hand on his thigh a number of times.
Spacey's lawyer Bryan Freedman told BuzzFeed – who published the original claims – that his client denied the allegation.
Anonymous artist who claims he had a relationship as a 14-year-old boy
The alleged victim said Spacey attempted to rape him when he was a teenager.
He told Vulture magazine that he first met Spacey in 1981 while attending a weekend acting class in Westchester County in New York.
Two years later he claims he bumped into Spacey in New York's Central Park. He was 14 at the time.
He said: "I called him on the phone the next day, and he told me how he was in love with me and wanted to see me."
The artist said they started a relationship soon after, but it ended when the actor tried to rape him.
Spacey again denied the allegations.
Former production assistant on House of Cards
The anonymous man said he was driving Spacey to the House of Cards set near Baltimore when the star put his hands down the his trousers.
The production assistant said: "I was in a state of shock. He was a man in a very powerful position on the show and I was someone very low on the totem pole and on the food chain there."
Netflix released a statement after the inscident: "Netflix was just made aware of one incident, five years ago, that we were informed was resolved swiftly.
"On Tuesday, in collaboration with MRC, we suspended production, knowing that Kevin Spacey wasn't scheduled to work until Wednesday. Netflix is not aware of any other incidents involving Kevin Spacey on-set.
"We continue to collaborate with MRC and other production partners to maintain a safe and respectful working environment.
23-year-old actor in London
A 23-year-old actor in London claimed he woke up to Kevin Spacey performing a sex act on him at the star's London home in 2008.
The man claims he fled after allegedly being warned by the American Beauty actor not to tell anyone about it.
It is understood that the complainant had asked the House of Cards star to help with his career.
The alleged victim, now aged 32, contacted City of London Police after a raft of stories emerged about Spacey allegedly abusing a teenage boy.
Kris Nixon, from Belfast, claims the US star groped him twice in a week and told him he could perform a sex act “better than your girlfriend”.
The young barman said he had been invited to a party at Spacey’s London apartment when the US star allegedly sidled up to him on a sofa and grabbed his crotch.
Spacey then made the alleged seedy comment to the 20-year-old, whose girlfriend had left him alone on the couch while getting a drink.
And the actor — Old Vic artistic director at the time — pestered him again a week later after returning to Kris’s bar with some of his theatrical crew, it is claimed.
Heather Unruh's son
US journalist Heather Unruh claimed Spacey groped her "star struck" 18-year-old son in summer 2016.
The TV news anchor, who did not name her son, said it happened at the Club Car restaurant in Nantucket, Massachusetts.
She told a press conference: “The victim, my son, was a star-struck 18-year-old who had no idea this famous actor was an alleged sexual predator or that he was about to become his next victim.
“Kevin Spacey bought him drink after drink after drink. And when my son was drunk, Spacey made his move and sexually assaulted him.”
Heather said she wants to see the actor jailed.
Spacey's lawyer tried to convince a judge that a sexual assault victim doesn't let their assailant grope them for three minutes, TMZ reports.
In a transcript, obtained by the Boston Globe, his lawyers said the victim didn't report the incident that night or even the next day.
They also alleged that the victim is the one who approached Spacey and claimed he lied about his age, saying he was 23.
However, the lawyers failed to torpedo the case and Spacey was eventually cleared of any further wrongdoing after the boy in question voluntarily dropped his remaining lawsuit on Spacey.
Man at the National Theatre
Spacey is alleged to have struck at a second London theatre in 2011.
A source told The Sun he groped the theatregoer in the bar after watching the play The Cherry Orchard with a group of friends.
The source said: “When the two women went to the toilet, Spacey whispered into one of the guys’ ears.
"He blushed and said, ‘I’m not that kind of guy’.
"Spacey did it again and this time groped his bottom, grinning like a Cheshire cat."
The National Theatre incident was not reported to staff or the authorities at the time.
The Old Vic investigation
On 16 November, the Old Vic revealed after an internal investigation that 20 accusers linked to the theatre made claims against Spacey.
Sixteen members of staff and four others made allegations against the 59-year-old between 1995 and 2013.
According to the Evening Standard, all the alleged incidents were “either of a sexual nature or made the correspondent feel uncomfortable”.
Lewis Silkin, the external law firm who conducted the investigation, said more than half of the allegations took place inside the Old Vic.
The investigation found there was not widespread knowledge of Spacey's alleged behaviour within the organisation.
A masseuse claimed that the actor forced him to touch his genitals and tried to kiss him, during a session at his home back in 2016. An official report was brought to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department in July, 2018. However, sources confirmed that it had been dropped in January 2020 following the masseuse's death.
According to The Independent, Stacey was also accused by Norwegian author and former royal Ari Ben, who died on December 24, 2019. In 2017, shortly after separating from the princess, Mr Behn accused Mr Spacey of having groped him at a concert for the Nobel Peace Prize ten years prior.
"We had a great talk, he sat right beside me." Mr Behn told Norwegian media at the time. "After five minutes he said, 'hey, let's go out and have a cigarette'.
Then he puts his hand under the table and grabs me by the balls."
What has Kevin Spacey said about the sexual assault claims?
Spacey has previously denied the anonymous paedophilia claims and all other allegations of wrongdoing.
Within hours of the Anthony Rapp allegations surfacing, Kevin Spacey posted a statement on Twitter apologising but saying he could not remember the incident.
He also publicly came out as gay for the first time.
The statement said: "I have a lot of respect and admiration for Anthony Rapp as an actor. I'm beyond horrified to hear his story.
"I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago.
"But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behaviour, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years.
"This story has encouraged me to address other things about my life."
"I know that there are stories out there about me and that some have been fuelled by the fact that I have been so protective of my privacy.
"As those closest to me know, in my life I have had relationships with both men and women. I have loved and had romantic encounters with men throughout my life, and I choose now to live as a gay man.
"I want to deal with this honestly and openly and that starts with examining my own behaviour."
After it was announced that Spacey was to arraigned on a felony sex assault charge, he released a bizarre social media comeback, saying "people wait with bated breath for me to confess".
In the clip titled "Let Me Be Frank", Spacey appears to be in the character of Frank Underwood from House Of Cards, washing his hands in a kitchen.
As he shakes water from his hands, he glares into the camera and said: "I know what you want, and sure, they may have tried to separate us but what we have is too strong, is too powerful. I mean after all, we shared everything, you and I.
What action has been taken by entertainment bosses?
Following the allegations, Netflix announced it would end acclaimed political drama House of Cards – in which Spacey starred as ruthless politician Frank Underwood.
The media streaming company said it was "deeply troubled" by the claims.
The sixth season was filmed and aired without Spacey's character, and the show will not be run for a seventh.
The International Emmy Awards also announced it would no longer honour Spacey with the 2017 International Emmy Founders Award.
The 59-year-old had been set to receive the accolade, which is given to entertainment personalities "whose unique creative accomplishments contribute to the quality of global television production", in November 2017.
A statement said: "The International Academy has announced that in light of recent events it will not honor Kevin Spacey with the 2017 Intl Emmy Founders Award."
And in the wake of the allegations against him Spacey's scenes in the new Ridley Scott epic All The Money In The World were axed – six weeks ahead of its release day.
He was replaced by Christopher Plummer, who took on Spacey's role as J. Paul Getty.
All of Spacey's scenes were reshot.
Why did people criticise Kevin Spacey for coming out as gay?
Following his statement, Spacey was accused of trying to deflect from the sex assault allegations by announcing his homosexuality.
Actress Rosie O'Donnell compared Spacey to disgraced move mogul Harvey Weinstein.
She wrote on Twitter: "u don't remember the incident – 30 years ago? – f*** u kevin – like Harvey we all knew about u – I hope more men come forward."
Curb Your Enthusiasm actress Wanda Sykes tweeted: "No no no no no! You do not get to 'choose' to hide under the rainbow! Kick rocks!"
Two-time Oscar winner Zachary Qunito added: "It is deeply sad and troubling that this is how Kevin Spacey has chosen to come out
"Not by standing up as a point of pride – in the light of all his many awards and accomplishments thus inspiring tens of thousands of struggling LGBTQ kids around the world – but as a calculated manipulation to deflect attention from the very serious accusation that he attempts to molest one."
Source: Read Full Article